Friday, November 16, 2007

Mac Love Friday . . .



Time for some Mac love. Why? Because I still love my PowerBook G4. Its the real thing, the Titanium model. The version of the PowerBook that is drop dead gorgeous. I bought it back in 2003, but in 2005 the hard drive started clicking, and clicking and clicking and then just stopped reading from the disk. I knew then as I know now that my beloved PowerBook is no longer a reliable machine because it's hard drive needs to be replaced. Sigh.


Rather than spending an absurd fee at the Apple Store for a replacement drive I stopped using my Powerbook as my primary computer. That all changed with the release of Leopard a few weeks back. The new OS has a feature called Time Machine that allows your Mac to automatically archive the contents of your hard drive to another hard drive by the day. All your important files are saved and you can browse through previous versions of your documents, pictures and videos.


In order to use this feature I needed a bigger hard drive. Behold! The Western Digital My Book Premium Edition 500GB Combo (USB 2.0/FireWire) External Hard Drive. It has Firewire! Because it has Firewire my Powerbook can recognize it as an external hard drive at start-up meaning I can move all my important files over to the My Book and use it as both a primary and back up Hard Drive. Best of all it is on Sale right now for $149 at Buy.com.


All you have to do is partition the drive into two logical partitions and install the Leopard OS on one partition and designate it as a the "boot drive." My PowerBook may no longer be fully portable but it is now once again a full fledged part of my life again.

No comments: